Facebook

Publications

Our volumes are printed on acid free paper and are of archival quality. The standard cloth binding is cream with black lettering. Volumes are supplied with matching dust wrappers. The size of volumes varies depending on content. For example, volume 92, Town Plans of Lincoln 1610-1920, published jointly with ‘The Survey of Lincoln’, was our first in full colour with a coloured illustrated dust wrapper. The specification for each volume is given, where available, on the Volumes in Print page.

Join The Society

Open to all on payment of the annual subscription...

cover

Borough Government in Newton’s Grantham – The Hall Book of Grantham, 1649-1662

Regulation of crafts and trades, setting the poor to work, upkeep of streets, the provision of godly ministers and schoolmasters and even the maintenance of the church fabric (notably its famous spire) were all matters of concern for the borough government in mid-seventeenth-century Grantham. The Hall Book (1633-1704), the earliest surviving record of the proceedings of the Alderman’s Court, has much to tell us about the way the Corporation administered the affairs of the town.

LRS-Vol-104-cover

The Correspondence of William Stukeley and Maurice Johnson

This volume brings together the two sides of a correspondence, stretching over forty years, between two remarkable Lincolnshire friends, the antiquaries William Stukeley (1687-1765) and Maurice Johnson (1688-1755). The letters begin when the writers were in their twenties and subsequently cover both Johnson’s work as a lawyer and the development of his cherished Spalding Gentlemen’s Society, and Stukeley’s work as a physician, his ordination in 1729, and his eventual return to London in 1747.

ParishClergy_II

Lincolnshire Parish Clergy c.1214-1968: A Biographical Register. Part II: The Deaneries of Beltisloe and Bolingbroke

The parish churches of Lincolnshire are justly celebrated. The spires of Grantham and Louth, and the famous Boston Stump, provide a focal point from the surrounding landscape of fen, wold and marsh. The charms of remote country churches along the byways of the county have been extolled in prose and verse by writers such as Henry Thorold and Sir John Betjeman. Their architecture, their stained glass and sculpture, furniture and fabric, have all been carefully recorded. Yet little is known of the people who served these churches, the rectors and vicars who, in word and sacrament, taught the Christian faith to successive generations of parishioners. This volume forms the second part of a much-needed survey of Lincolnshire parish clergy. It covers the deaneries of Beltisloe, comprising twenty-one parishes clustered around Colsterworth and Corby, and of Bolingbroke, with twenty-five parishes centred on Spilsby. Starting from 1214, when Bishop Hugh of Wells introduced the earliest system of episcopal registration in Western Europe, the parish lists set out the succession of rectors or vicars for each church. Brief biographical sketches demonstrate the rich variety of the county's parsons - pastors, scholars, athletes, travellers and writers, soldiers and schoolmasters. This register gives to each of them his place in the history of Lincolnshire.

LRS-Vol-104-cover

The Correspondence of William Stukeley and Maurice Johnson

This volume brings together the two sides of a correspondence, stretching over forty years, between two remarkable Lincolnshire friends, the antiquaries William Stukeley (1687-1765) and Maurice Johnson (1688-1755). The letters begin when the writers were in their twenties and subsequently cover both Johnson’s work as a lawyer and the development of his cherished Spalding Gentlemen’s Society, and Stukeley’s work as a physician, his ordination in 1729, and his eventual return to London in 1747.

Postal Address: Lincoln Record Society, Lincoln Cathedral Library, Minster Yard, Lincoln LN2 1PX

General enquiries email: secretary@lincoln-record-society.org.uk

Text, images and copy; copyright Lincoln Record Society 2017

Lincoln Record Society is a registered charity, number 513433