Facebook

Lincolnshire Parish Clergy c.1214-1968: A Biographical Register. Part II: The Deaneries of Beltisloe and Bolingbroke

ParishClergy_II

The parish churches of Lincolnshire are justly celebrated. The spires of Grantham and Louth, and the famous Boston Stump, provide a focal point from the surrounding landscape of fen, wold and marsh. The charms of remote country churches along the byways of the county have been extolled in prose and verse by writers such as Henry Thorold and Sir John Betjeman. Their architecture, their stained glass and sculpture, furniture and fabric, have all been carefully recorded. Yet little is known of the people who served these churches, the rectors and vicars who, in word and sacrament, taught the Christian faith to successive generations of parishioners.

This volume forms the second part of a much-needed survey of Lincolnshire parish clergy. It covers the deaneries of Beltisloe, comprising twenty-one parishes clustered around Colsterworth and Corby, and of Bolingbroke, with twenty-five parishes centred on Spilsby. Starting from 1214, when Bishop Hugh of Wells introduced the earliest system of episcopal registration in Western Europe, the parish lists set out the succession of rectors or vicars for each church. Brief biographical sketches demonstrate the rich variety of the county’s parsons – pastors, scholars, athletes, travellers and writers, soldiers and schoolmasters. This register gives to each of them his place in the history of Lincolnshire.

ParishClergy_II

Volume 105                             Lincolnshire Parish Clergy c.1214-1968: A Biographical
Register. Part II: The Deaneries of Beltisloe and Bolingbroke

Editor                                      Nicholas Bennett

Publication Date                     2016

Size                                         235 x 155 mm

Language                                English

Publisher                                 A Lincoln Record Society publication published by the Boydell Press an imprint of Boydell & Brewer Ltd PO Box 9, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 3DF and of Boydell & Brewer Inc. 668 Mt Hope Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620-2731, USA

Website: www.boydell.com

Printed & bound                     TJ International Ltd., Padstow, Cornwall

This publication is printed on acid-free paper

ISBN                                       978 1 910653 00 5

Content                                   Contents, 2 pages

List of Illustrations and Maps, 2 pages

Acknowledgements, 1 page

Abbreviations, 21 pages

Introduction, 2 pages

Deanery of Beltisloe, 204 pages

Deanery of Bolingbroke, 202 pages

Index of Persons and Places, 112 pages

Dust jacket blurb                    The parish churches of Lincolnshire are justly celebrated. The spires of Grantham and Louth, and the famous Boston Stump, provide a focal point from the surrounding landscape of fen, wold and marsh. The charms of remote country churches along the byways of the county have been extolled in prose and verse by writers such as Henry Thorold and Sir John Betjeman. Their architecture, their stained glass and sculpture, furniture and fabric, have all been carefully recorded. Yet little is known of the people who served these churches, the rectors and vicars who, in word and sacrament, taught the Christian faith to successive generations of parishioners.

This volume forms the second part of a much-needed survey of Lincolnshire parish clergy. It covers the deaneries of Beltisloe, comprising twenty-one parishes clustered around Colsterworth and Corby, and of Bolingbroke, with twenty-five parishes centred on Spilsby. Starting from 1214, when Bishop Hugh of Wells introduced the earliest system of episcopal registration in Western Europe, the parish lists set out the succession of rectors or vicars for each church. Brief biographical sketches demonstrate the rich variety of the county’s parsons – pastors, scholars, athletes, travellers and writers, soldiers and schoolmasters. This register gives to each of them his place in the history of Lincolnshire.

Postal Address: Lincoln Record Society, Lincoln Cathedral Library, Minster Yard, Lincoln LN2 1PX

General enquiries email: secretary@lincoln-record-society.org.uk

Text, images and copy; copyright Lincoln Record Society 2017

Lincoln Record Society is a registered charity, number 513433